Searching for 'Walden' - Hever Castle Gardens - Edenbridge, Kent

Once again I was revisiting some photos of a field trip I took with a friend on a Sunday during the season of autumn. On this particular day myself and my friend who resides in Kent decided to visit Hever Castle in Edenbridge, Kent. In Britain, the autumn season can be a bit temperamental with the likelihood of rain and overcast skies can dampen the mood somewhat. But when the conditions are right with its cool crisp air and blue sky, the results are nothing less than soul-stirring - creating the kind of weekend you'll remember for a very long time to come. At least that's how this particular Sunday felt to me.
I've always felt deeply enamored by the English countryside. To me 'English Pastoral' is England with its low rolling hills, vast fields, serene lakes and, of course, the gardens. And the air quality! I can still smell its green woody sweetness to this day. There is a particular colour England displays during the autumn season: russet orange, forest green, and placid lake blue. This holy trinity of colour is what gives the English countryside a feeling of rural spirituality. Some may even go as far as calling it 'Deep Ecology'. Call it what you will but I believe 'English Pastoral' is what many English or even Britons for that matter look for when desiring perspective and grounding, and a real sense of freedom.
Recently I was reminded of a book I read several years ago before I moved to the United Kingdom called 'Walden' by American poet and prose writer, Henry David Thoreau. The book is a very personal account of Thoreau's life living in the New England woods of Massachusetts. Thoreau's literary works, especially 'Walden', have gone on to be an inspiration to the environmental movement and further inspiring others to abandon their striving and materialistic existence of 'quiet desperation' for a simple life within their means. In doing so finding spiritual truth through our awareness of natural beauty. It is a concept that I always find myself searching for and I know the life choice Thoreau is describing here can also be achieved by having this state of mind and not just a geographical location. However, for myself, I would like both!
Since moving to London in January 2012 a lot of Britons have asked me if I am planning on staying in the United Kingdom permanently, and my answer since the last few years has remained the same, "Britain, yes, definitely. But I'm not really sure about the London part." However, recently I now find myself saying, "Yes, but it must a pastoral area of Britain if I am ever going to feel settled and happy here."
From my own experience, moving to a new location and setting up a new home base brings about excitement, assumption, and anxiety. To be honest over the years I've somewhat forgotten what my original assumption of London was before I moved here. I was once informed by a late friend who is no longer with us that London is a place that is always moving and very competitive. The latter I never quite understood. "Competitive? What is it, exactly, that Londoners competing are for?" I asked. "Everything. Just everything," my friend replied. And he was right. I do find myself seemingly competing for everything. Even popping out to buy a sandwich for lunch is not immune. There is competition there as well.
But why the constant competition and having to plan your moves three steps ahead of the next person in front of you? Why does London constantly feel like it requires strategy and manoeuvre? Even if I did have all the answers it's not going to change the ways things are. However, there was something else I was also told about: There is more to England than just London and to make sure I do venture outside of greater London when time allows for it. I don't want this blog to read like I'm having a big moan about London, because to be fair it could be anywhere in the world. Earlier this year I had the good fortune of visiting India for 3 weeks. It was a trip I have been wanting to do for a very long time, and I do plan on going back there again probably as early as next year. As to be expected there was a lot to take in: the people, the smells, the food, the heartbreaking poverty, and its deep spirituality. It really was an assault to the senses. But a life changing assault nonetheless. One thing India did show me was the importance of letting go of 'stuff' or at least knowing when to let go of stuff and relinquish control, and not getting so hung up and attached to such modern frivolity.
As these photos will attest, the gardens at Hever Castle and its sprawling lake gave me an opportunity to leave the urban landscape that is London and to go pastoral for the whole day. Despite the quiet introspection that I was relishing it was still a very fun day for both my friend and myself. It still astounds me to see so many suburban people take the city landscape so seriously and to accept its illusion as real life. English pastoral is real life.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zen & the Art of Garden Maintenance: Kyoto Garden - London

Volim Te, Zagreb (Part 2) – ‘Moderna Galarija’

Friar Park